Thursday 2 May 2024

2024 Walking South Pembrokeshire - Day 8

Thursday 2 May - Final Day

Carew to Lawrenny via Whitehills and Cresswell Quay

THIS IS THE 2nd TIME OF TYPING THIS!! I GOT ALMOST TO THE END & WANTED TO DELETE SOMETHING.

I ENDED UP DELETING EVERYTHING BY MISTAKE & HADN'T SAVED IT!!

AGGGGHHHHH!

Wow! What a lot of rain we had last night! It threw it down!!

This morning it was still raining heavily so we decided to delay the start a bit in the hope that it would ease off a bit. Still, it gave me time to go via Tesco Café and grab a bacon & egg bap and a large coffee. Denise drove me back to Carew Castle and parked up so that we could peer through the rain-drenched windscreen at the castle on the other side of the millpond. I was waiting in the car for Richard Hatch to interview me for the fifth time about my walk for BFBS Afternoon Radio Show. Although the interviews air at around 1.30pm on each of the days he actually 'Zooms' me at around 10am. This means that he can edit them so that I sound slightly more human and sensible!! The interviews can be heard on Catch-up and went out at 1.30pm on the following days: Thu25/Fri26/Tue30 April & Wed1/Thu2 May

BFBS Link: https://radio.bfbs.com/catchup/bfbs-afternoon


After the interview I could put it off no longer. 

It was still pouring down but I had to make a start. I got out of the car all togged up but no umbrella this time as the wind was a bit brisk. 

Denise positioned the car so that she could wind down the window and take a photo of me in front of the castle without getting out of the car and getting wet. 

I'm so good to her!! 


Then it was off to bag the 1st fortification of the day (after Carew Castle). Park Camp was a fortified enclosure just up the ridge and across the main road from the castle. I had to cross fields to get near it and they were absolutely saturated. I feel so sorry for the farmers trying to grow crops and tend the land in this relentless rain. I found the enclosure, it had become the pristine lawn and garden of Park House. 


Photo bagged it was back across the main road  towards Cresswell Quay. The going after Park Camp was quite good as I was now on quiet lanes. I even did a little gentle jogging on the downhill bits (training for Bristol 10K!) Well, anything to be able to get out of the rain a bit quicker. Once at the Quay I had hoped to be able to cross the River 
Cresswell on the stepping stones that are exposed at low tide. The tide was only just starting to come in but I hadn't factored in the deluge of rain that we'd experienced over the past week. 


It didn't really matter as I had to continue a little way up the road in order to bag my next photo marked on my OS Map as
Castle (remains of). I have passed on this road umpteen times over the years and have never consciously noticed it before! You live and learn. I know nothing about its history so must research it when home!

I continued round the road and up the hill till I came to a gap where the Landsker Borderland Trail continued. The Landsker is an imaginary line running from Solva in the north-west of the county to Amroth (where I started my 100 Miles) in the south-east. To the north of the line mostly Welsh was the language of choice and, to the south English was spoken predominantly. This was certainly more in evidence when I was growing up though perhaps not so much now.


I was now walking round the edge of fields that sloped towards the river. The rainwater, naturally, was making its journey as quickly as it could downhill. I was walking through running water, bogs, and trying to cross little streams that had become raging torrents. I squelched my way onwards, the mud sometimes sucking at my boots and at other times slipping and sliding from under me. The streams could sometimes be crossed with one of my long-legged strides (I can't say leaps coz my aged knees don't have the spring any more!!). At least once I had to trust a large pebble in the middle of the torrent and my rather rickety sense of balance to wade across. No wonder my feet were a little damp at the end of today's walk.


Still I ploughed (waded?) onwards. Past delightful picnic spots complete with table and bench. All it needed was a bit of sun and it would have been ideal. No time for picnics or snack breaks today, I had an appointment with a crab sandwich! 

Past the confluence of the Creswell and Carew Rivers as they became one to flow past Lawrenny Quay and into the Daugleddau and from there down to the haven and the sea. 


 

Finally I was off the sodden fields and onto the last mile or so of road leading from the village to the quay. 


With a spring in my step I headed towards the last of my sites, the quay and landing stages which played a role in the World War II as a base for Supermarine Walrus seaplanes and a training centre, known as HMS Daedalus II, operated by the Fleet Air Arm. It was operational between 1941 and 1946, being used by the Royal Navy, 1941 - 1943 and then put into a Care & Maintenance status.




Finally I could see Denise sheltering by a 'pod' in the rain outside the Lawrenny Quay Tearooms. 


My 100 Mile journey had come to an end. 



My reward was enjoying the most wonderful crab sandwich at the Tearoom (they also do amazing cakes). 


I even managed to buy another dressed crab with salad to bring back to the chalet and have this evening once I've had my shower.

It has been one of the hardest challenges I have done, mainly due to the weather, but it has also been one of the most rewarding. It has taken me back to my childhood and all the wonderful memories that it brought flooding back. 

I couldn't have even contemplated it without the amazing support of Denise, my ever patient wife who suffered my crabbiness and control-freak backseat driving with her usual calmness and serenity. 

I am also extremely grateful for the generous support of everyone who has followed my journey and donated to my two wonderful charities, WRACA and The VC Gallery.  Thank you.

You can support me and my two charities by clicking on the link below which will take you to my fundraising page at Give as you Live Donate:

https://donate.giveasyoulive.com/fundraising/margs-pembrokeshire-100-mile-2024

If you would like to know more about my charities please follow the links. Remember, if you served, even for 1 day, in the WRAC or are a serving female soldier you can join the WRACA and its FREE. The camaraderie that you'll find and the events that you can be a part of all over the country will amaze you. 

https://wraca.org.uk/

https://thevcgallery.com/






2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the blogs, some fabulous ideas for us to visit when we are next in the area. It's been a fascinating read, the first of your walks that I've followed. Hope you dry out soon and Denise gets a rest from driving.Two fabulous charities to raise funds for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - I'm so glad you've enjoyed the Blog & it's given you some ideas. Love to know who you are!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I will try and reply when I can