Friday 15 March 2019

2019 Walk Day 01

Friday 15th March, Walk Day 1

Sandhurst to Guildford








After a reasonably healthy but slightly rushed breakfast Denise and I were on the road fairly early to try and miss the worst of the commuter traffic. 

We made really good time back to Sandhurst and Camberley. 



I was walking through the housing estate that was my old WRAC Officer Training College at 8am. 

Funny but I don't remember a hill anywhere on the site but I had to climb up and down one to eventually get to the bridge over the M3! 

The only things I vaguely remembered were the large fir trees. Sadly the listed chapel that I'm sure I would have recognised got burnt down whilst the developer was waiting to put in the development plans!!




The going was good over the heathland and woodland tracks. The paths were easy to spot so that even I managed to stay pretty much on course. The weather was fairly kind almost to the last few steps of the day. It was generally a bit blustery and sometimes threatened rain but it never amounted to much. I was a bit earlier than I'd thought at my lunch-stop at the White Hart in Pirbright. It was a very pleasant and popular pub. I had a bowl of soup and a ciabatta roll chased down with a very tasty & refreshing pint of Tribute Pale Ale (and a pint of water!)


As I'd arrived early I was able to leave early too once I'd had my meal!! The ground in the afternoon was a little soggier in places but nothing to moan about. At least the peat didn't stick to my boots like the Herefordshire & Worcestershire mud!! 




I arrived without any mishaps at Queen Elizabeth Park housing estate and took a slightly grumpy looking selfie (dunno why I was grumpy!!) 








As I was so early I continued on to Guildford Cathedral where Denise took some pics with some difficulty as by now the wind had picked up and was blowing a Hooley!!


I gratefully got in the car and we started back to our lodgings. As we joined the queues of traffic on the A3 the heavens opened and it threw it down all the way back!! Someone is looking down on me and that's for sure.

Well that's 15 miles under my belt. Feet seem ok and I'm fairly happy with how the joints etc are holding up. It would be rather nice if the weather is equally kind tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. Well done Marg, so pleased the weather held out for you. Fingers crossed for tomorrow. Great pictures except the grumpy one lol :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I will try and reply when I can