Tuesday 19 March 2019

2019 Walk Day 5

Tuesday 19th March 2019

Itchen Abbas to Shawford (via the WRAC Association HQ!)

I started the morning with a lovely chat to a gentleman in Itchen Abbas - the first person I have met along the way so far who was happy to utter more than a grunt or a "Morning!" He assured me that the pathway to Winchester was well signposted and then stopped and thought a bit. He then admitted that he walked it so often that he didn't really notice any signs!! . . . . but that it was an easy enough path to follow. With a cheery "goodbye!" we parted and I set off. 
'Low-Fat' Kissing Gate
My first obstacle was a very solid, metal Kissing Gate. I have never questioned the structure or dimensions of Kissing Gates before. They were just there and much easier to negotiate than hoisting oneself over a stile. Those of you who know me well know that I carry a backpack . . . . . a very full backpack!! If I were to size Kissing Gates then many of the modern ones would be a 22+/XXXXXL; some are a little snugger and would be around an 18/XL; this mornings was a very slim 8/XXXXS!! I just managed to squeeze through with my backpack on (too lazy to take it off!) though I did manage to expel all the air from my lungs in the process!
Now that I'm walking beside the river I'm able to admire the many lovely waterside properties. Just before I took this picture I had noticed that the pathway had been moved back away from the water. How nice, thought I in my innocence, they're trying to keep my feet dry. Then the path turned back onto its original course and I realised that it had been moved back so that it didn't go across the river frontage of the property!
The Itchen seemed to be in full flow but at no point did it seem to be bursting its banks or spreading out over flood plains. A gentleman I spoke to later on in the afternoon said that its present flow rate was pretty much the same no matter what the weather - even during last years drought!!
I had realised that if I diverted my intended path slightly I would be passing much closer to the WRAC Association HQ at Basepoint, Winnall, Winchester. Rude not to call in I thought. They may have the kettle on. They would also probably have a well-appointed loo (much nicer than squatting in the bushes!!) I also thought that, so close to the reunion weekend, they would be up to their armpits in work and not really appreciate a visit from a muddy-footed random Association member interrupting them. So I called on them anyway!! 😀
Julia Doig, Tanya-Jayne Park, Me, Penny Muxworthy, Julie Winks
They kindly offered me a very welcome coffee and were even happy to have their photos taken with me. My grateful thanks to ALL the hardworking ladies of the WRAC Association (Penny, Julie, Julia and Tanya & those not 'office-bound') who are working their little fingers to the bone to provide us with a fantastic weekend of 'Events'
Eventually I dragged myself away from the warmth and comfort of Basepoint and continued on my way via old Winchester itself. The riverside is really picturesque. Much cleaner and nicer than my pathway in to Winchester past the trading estate. What is it with some businesses on trading estates who think they can just chuck rubbish over the fence onto surrounding paths and fields? We have similar problems in Worcester.

Once I reached the pathways beside the Park & Ride towards the south of the city I was onto the Itchen Navigation which runs from south Winchester to north Southampton. This is the path I will walk now until the end, tomorrow, in Southampton.





Whilst I was at the WRAC Association HQ Julie Winks (Ben Fund Sec) suggested I look out for the St Cross Hospital and Water Meadows where she used to work. From a distance it looked magnificent. It was on the opposite side of the river to my walk.




On my side of the river I had noticed on the map a lot of brown contour lines all grouped in a circle with the legend, 'Catherine's Hill' and 'fort' and 'Maze'??? I gave it no thought until I was almost past it. It sort of appeared in a break in the trees and undergrowth. And my oh my did it appear!! It was colossal. How did I miss that further back? Fortunately my path took me beside and beyond it although not before I witnessed a runner who had overtaken me take a left turn through the gate and proceed to run up the pathway up the hill. MAD!!
My days walk finished at Shawford where Denise picked me up, packed me in the car and took me back to our accommodation. Only one more day to go and I'll be finished. Tomorrow afternoon I will say a brief "Hello!" to the Grand Harbour Hotel, Southampton then go back to our accommodation for a rest before hitting the party weekend!! 

4 comments:

  1. Well I think you should run your last day! At least that way you will get to the bar quicker! Mines a large G&T please 😂😂 well done Marg. Looking forward to seeing you on Thursday 😘😘😘

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never got my pint!!! . . . But there again you didn't get your G&T either 😀

      Delete
  2. Margaret
    The kissing gates replaced the stiles we used to have around all our footpaths as a millennium initiative from the parish council. Alas, their size is determined by whoever owns the land over which each footpath runs; there is no standard to which they have to conform.

    The flow of the river Itchen is depends on the rainfall the previous winter. The rain soaks down through the chalk and wells up from springs at a rate determined by how wet the chalk has become from October to March, when the water isn't immediately soaked up by the leaves on the trees. A wet winter makes a fast flowing river all summer. In exceptionally wet weather it can flood all the way down through Winchester, as happened in 2014.

    I'm the verger at Itchen Abbas church whom you met as you started your walk on 19 March.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Vernon. I must admit that Kissing Gates are much easier to negotiate than stiles. My thanks to your Parish Council for keeping the path in such good order.

      Delete

Thanks for your comment. I will try and reply when I can