Monday 18 March 2019

2019 Walk Day 3

Sunday 17th March 2019

Day 3 - Devils Punchbowl to Four Marks


What a difference a day makes (24 little hours 😃!!)
Devils Punchbowl
Gibbet Hill and the Punchbowl at Hindhead were sunny but there was a cold bite to the wind. Mind you, it was just before 0800 hrs. I thought I was continuing with the technical gremlins again as my camera refused to take pictures at first. All that climbing and nothing to show. Its surprising how switching the darn thing off and shouting at it (whilst deleting as many old pics off it as I dared) does the trick. By the time I got to the viewing platform at the Hindhead Punchbowl National Trust area I was still cold but at least I could take some picks of the view.

From there it was a very quick, downhill march to the edge of Bramshott Common, the first of the military training areas of the day. The heathland made for very pleasant walking being soft and slightly spongy underfoot. At the edge of the common nearer to Bramshott itself and Liphook it said that there was a disused Camp. I wondered if it was the ATS Training Camp that I was told was "on the A3 in the middle of nowhere!!" it looks very pleasant on a sunny Sunday morning!!
Was this the site of the ATS Training Camp?
Once I'd left the common the majority of the remaining walking was on roads, lanes or tracks. The roads were scary as I find the "southern" drivers mad speed freaks!! I'm deliberately wearing a hi-vis jacket so that I can be seen (the fluorescent yellow is startling to say the least) Drivers do see me but some choose to aim for me - I'm obviously a clear target!! Lanes weren't bad; in the afternoon they were very hilly! Tracks were a bit of a nightmare after all the rain and wind. There were branches down all over the place and in some places the tracks had turned into lakes!
I'd just negotiated this 'lake'
I lunched in the garden of a pub near Bordon Training Area. By the time I'd finished the pub  had opened (late opening on Sundays!!). I had a pint and a packet of crisps to while away the time as I had to put my gizmo on charge! (That's my excuse anyway!) I think its got a dodgy battery.
The afternoon walk was a lot harder than the morning. Much more hilly and either lanes, tracks or open fields (very claggy!) The weather had turned a bit towards the end as the wind had picked up and there were some nasty clouds heading my way. The photos were few and far between as I just kept my head down & plodded on. 
Even had lakes (& quagmires!) on the top of hills!!
Half way along and still in one piece!! I've got Compeed plasters on my feet and Physio Tape on my shins but there all holding me together 😀 Hopefully from now on I'm out of the Surry Hills and about to take on St Swithun and the Itchin Way. Lets hope there'll be no more rain as I don't do walking on water!!
Last of the Surry Hills?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I will try and reply when I can