Wednesday 20 March 2019

2019 Walk Day 6

Wednesday 20th March 2019

Shawford to Southampton

Ready for the off!!
The day dawned with mist and mizzle!! Never mind - last day!! I crawled into the car with toast and coffee still in hand as we wanted to beat the Winchester rush-hour!!
Closest I got to walking on water
I needed my highly visible jacket to keep the mizzle off rather than to be seen! The path followed (more or less) the old canal barge route to Southampton. It must have been a very busy waterway and, unlike the canals around Worcester, was built to take wide barges rather than narrowboats. Sadly all that remains now (apart from the actual water-course) is the towpath, now a reasonable footpath, but originally designed to haul the barges using horses.




I'd seen a few of these flowers along the way. 
I can only assume that they are some sort of native orchid.
I would love to know what they are from one of you budding horticulturalists out there!




Along the way I have seen some spectacular properties. These had terraced gardens winding down to the rivers edge. They were bursting with spring colour. I was particularly taken with the bright yellow 'Arum Lily' type flowers almost paddling in the water.

Because I had set off so early (the Winchester rush didn't happen!) I arrived way to early at my intended lunch-stop . . . . . so I carried on going!! Instead I eventually stopped for my lunch of sandwiches overlooking Southampton Airport. I was just making a comfortable little spot for myself with my back against a tree when an airport security vehicle appeared (on the airport side of the perimeter fence!) lights flashing!! Oh heck!! I approached the fence  smiling at him as he drove up and rolled down his window. "You OK?" he asked. I replied that I was fine, just taking a well earned break on the last day of my 100 mile walk. He seemed suitably impressed and we chatted a bit longer before he wished me well and drove on, continuing his perimeter check. I flopped down against the tree and sat and ate my lunch in between taking pics of planes landing and taking off!!









For those of you flying into Southampton this weekend I can assure you that all the landings I witnessed were as smooth as silk!!

Lunch over I got back on the path and headed towards the outskirts of Southampton. There was a minor obstacle in the way . . . the M27!! The Itchen Navigation goes straight under . . . . . In one side and reappears directly opposite. The Public Footpath however takes a detour, over half a mile east, then under the motorway, and then over half a mile back to the west to re-join the Itchen Navigation!! Why? Couldn't they have built a slightly larger tunnel for both water and walkers?? That was one mile extra that I didn't need!! [Whinge over!!] 



It wasn't long before I arrived at the lovely Riverside Park. All sorts of waterfowl and paddleboarders enjoying the river with a metalled pathway right next to it so that hikers, dogwalkers, sitters and everyone could enjoy the day. It was lovely. 
There was even one part, the miniature railway, where a gaggle of blokes were tinkering with their 'Boys Toys'!! 


Sadly the peace and quiet was over for the day as I reached second of four road bridges over the river. 



I was now having to pound the pavements away from the river in order to reach the Toll Bridge nearest to the sea where I was going to cross. The roads weaved in and out and up and down with occasional glimpses of the busy river.
There were some amazing properties and what appeared to be some very 'ordinary' and unkempt ones. I wonder how much one would pay for a property with a river view in these areas?

Finally I arrived at the bridge and . . . . . . . a very long, steep staircase up!! 


I made it to the top without stopping!! Mainly because I was followed up by two young men and wasn't going to show my age!! 


They passed me just before the top so I was able to regain my breath!




Knowing that I was now almost within shouting distance of the hotel I set off over the bridge. Almost at the opposite side I spied the two young men again (possibly students??) One of them had a very techi-looking camera on a tripod and was taking photos. 


I asked if they'd take a photo of me as I was within a mile of finishing my 100 mile walk. They were happy to do so. The one without the camera took the pic!!






The hotel seemed miles away but at last I spied its eye-catching glass, triangular frontage. And, almost on cue, there was Denise, phone camera in hand! 
I'd done it, all 99 miles (plus at least another couple of miles to and from the car each day!!) Yes its hard but then it's supposed to be a challenge! My feet are a bit sore and I have a couple of aches and pains but who doesn't! Would I do it again - probably . . . . but after a year's rest!! Oh yes . . . . and only if Denise is happy to ride shotgun again!! 

Thank you to everyone for your fabulous support. In particular I would like to than Lt Col (Retd.) Sue Westlake, MBE for her generosity in accommodating Denise and myself for the entire walk at her house. It made the walk so much easier for us both - Thank you x

You can still donate if you wish at:
https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/MargaretDaviesWRAC
or when you see me in Southampton this weekend!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I will try and reply when I can