Friday 26 April 2024

2024 Walking South Pembrokeshire - Day 2

 Friday 26th April 2024

Tenby to Manorbier (& Beyond!!)

Tenby War Memorial


The day started with Denise trying to get herself run over taking a photo of me at the gates of Tenby War Memorial. 

The gates are on a very busy corner with a narrow pavement in front. The only place for the budding photographer to stand is right in the middle of the road. 

My wife is my hero - the things she does for me!! 

My reason for starting there is that the gate arch has two plaques, one either side at knee height. As you look at the gates the one on the left is to the ATS and the one on the right to the WRAC. 

A very misty Tenby in the background

You can probably guess from my clothes that the weather was not so good today. Mostly mizzle, some slightly heavier rain and the very occasional dry-ish spells. Needless to say, every time I decided it had stopped it started to rain even heavier!!


After Tenby my next point of interest was Penally Camp and Range (the coastal path has to take a detour away from the range Danger Area) 

Once I'd turned towards the sea opposite the camp I noticed an information panel explaining that the area had been used during WW1 to train soldiers for Trench Warfare.

I had another interview today with Richard Hatch of BFBS Radio. That's the second one! They go out at around 1.30pm on BFBS Afternoon. Even though I'd mentioned yesterday that Membership of the Association is now free for all female military, both veterans and serving, that had been edited out. 

More steps down &
hazardous limestone
path up again!

My next fortification was after I had climbed up the track from Lydstep Bay and then climbed back down . . . and then up again!! 

Oh Goody I heard myself mutter . . . . More steps!

Actually climbing down wasn't too bad even if it was a bit hard on the knees.

The problem I had already had and was about to have was clambering up (or down) a very worn, lumpy, wet pathway on limestone. Trip hazard nightmare. Poles were no use - it was back to baby-crawling up and bum-sliding down!!



After my scary ascent and once I'd rounded the corner and crested the headland I could see Skomar Defended Enclosure on the next headland an Iron Age structure. 

It certainly was well defended from the sea although I suspect much of the original enclosure on that side had crashed into the sea over the years. 


From the land side the mounds and ditches that would have protected its inhabitants were still visible although much diminished over time. 

I tried to take photos but my photography isn't good enough to show what my eye could see.

All I managed to convey was a rather pleasant green field with a few slopes. 

Never mind - at least I was aware of what had been there. Definitely something that I would have quite happily walked past previously without realizing what that little word "fort" on the map really meant.

Onwards I went towards my next 'goal' which, unfortunately, is on MOD land and not accessible during the week due to Live Firing! 


Old Castle Head Promontory Fort is on the headland to the south of Manorbier Camp. As its name suggests it was another fortified enclosure constructed on a headland. The cliffs around this part of Pembrokeshire are about 200 feet high so the sea was Iron Age inhabitants best defence. 


From here it was a brisk walk to Manorbier castle only stopping to say hello to the two MOD Guard Service personnel 'manning & womanning' the gates to Manorbier Camp.

We had a good chat & I forced my calling cards on them. 

I was so busy chatting to Kirsty & ?Steve? that, I'm sorry . . . . I think I've mis-remembered your name!! 

Put it down to senility!!



Manorbier was a welcome stop. I went into the castle but didn't need to pay the entrance fee as I only wanted a cup of coffee from the café. Well, I thought that was all I wanted until I saw the cheese scone. I explained to the lovely lady behind the counter that I was intending to stop my walk at the castle today and gave her my calling card. She very kindly only charged me for the Yummy Cheese Scone and also generously gave me £5 towards my walk. 


Another day under my belt. Another 14.7 miles under my belt (well, feet!!)

Tomorrow is Manorbier to Bosherston. Only 2 Iron Age fortifications to see or not see on the way. 

I'm going to be able to visit possibly my favourite part of South Pembrokeshire, Stackpole Quay. I do hope the café is open!!

If you  would like to sponsor me please follow the link to my Give as you Live page: https://donate.giveasyoulive.com/fundraising/margs-pembrokeshire-100-mile-2024



6 comments:

  1. Another fabulous day Marg, so nice to see the photos too, bringing back so many of our trips we have done there xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss my home county but try & get here as often as I can

      Delete
  2. Marg, I would love to join you tomorrow for s bit if your walk if possible? James Phillips, Veterans' Commissioner for Wales

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi James sent you a msg on LinkedIn. Best to communicate via my email, 43margied1@gmail.com

      Delete
  3. Great photos - well done Denise for taking picture by the gates. Hope body is standing up to the walks x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I will try and reply when I can