Friday 23 April 2021

Day 4 - Three Choirs Way

 Kempley to Hereford Cathedral


A glorious day was forecast and it certainly proved so although there was  bit of frosty dew on the fields as I left Kempley and headed towards Much Marcle.


No pub today or coffee at the Cider Mill.


Too early as well as my route was a bit to the west.


It was a long climb up towards the Radio Mast with my only dilemma whether to take the road as our walking usually does or take the route across the fields. I chose the fields.


The route was better marked than yesterday (I was in Herefordshire for the most part!!) but some of the stiles were "challenging" to say the least.


I must commend most Herefordshire farmers for keeping well marked paths; even without a Gizmo the path was usually clear and well trodden.


The one absolute positive for the day was that there were no coos!!

Well, OK, a few happily munching on some  hay in a barn - just how I like them!!




I also had a pleasant saunter through Haugh's Wood.

I am glad that my walking group didn't attempt it on Monday, the climb would have been pretty long & steep.

Fortunately I was mostly descending today though it was a bit hard on the old knees.

I was so enjoying my wandering through the woods, listening to the birdsong and revelling in the sunshine & peacefulness, that I switched brain off and ended up a bit off course.

I was surrounded by thick forest - Oops!!

Best retrace steps, which I did & got onto the correct path down to Mordiford. 


It was a bit of a tight squeeze as the road through the village and across the bridges are very narrow and the traffic is not that kind!!

I retraced some of the walk we did on Monday beside the River Lugg.

I looked at my gizmo and saw that I'd done about 11 miles so thought I'd stop for lunch.

In my head I was almost there.

In reality it was almost 2 hours of the most boring, energy-sapping walking I can remember doing!!


I know that my walk into Worcedter on Sunday is going to be long and tedious but at least it's beside either quieter roads or on a raised levee footpath enjoying the river. 


It wasn't helped that from the lay-by at Hampton Bishop (no I didn't go back to the Bunch of Carrots pub!!) the pathway rapidly moved away from the River Wye and got lost in the only huge field crop that hadn't sprayed a path!!


It then continued for a further two massive fields set with potatoes.

By this time I was losing the will to live!!

I crossed this desert (well it was certainly sandy & hot enough) with ill-grace.

I was tired & probably in need of chocolate!! 

Never mind. Not long. Nearly there!



Then came the road into the city. Lovely houses and Hampton Park is obviously a very nice place to live.

For a walker it's a nightmare. Busy road, single narrow pavement and the road goes on & on!! 

I was a hot, cross bunny!!

Under the railway bridge & I could get some respite by tacking the cycle route along the quieter backroads.

The signpost said 1 mile.

I walked on, down several streets and came to another signpost.

It still said 1 mile!!


Eventually I ended up by the castle grounds and from there, past the school finally to the cathedral where Denise was waiting. 


As you can see from the photo I was tired & grumpy!!


Poor Denise, after coming all that way, all she got was me snapping as she snapped the photo!! 


Never mind another 16.7 miles completed (It said 17 miles when I stopped it - it obviously deducted some for bad behaviour!!


Two thirds walked.


Another Cathedral to tick off.


69miles walked in total so far.


Another day tomorrow.


I suspect its going to be a bit hilly!!


2 comments:

  1. Well done Marg...I have to say you don’t look happy! I hope by now you’re feeling better having had a cold beer or two. Good luck tomorrow x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for all your support & re-posting. It's much appreciated x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I will try and reply when I can