Thursday 15 April 2021

Marg’s Three Cathedrals Charity Walk 2021 is ON!

Today, Thursday 15th April, I should have driving up to Inverness ready to start my walk. Instead I am putting the finishing touches to my new, more local walk which I'm due to start on Tuesday 20th April.

100 Mile Route Map

This year I will be staying comparatively local and walking between three cathedrals. I will be following the Three Choirs Way which is a long distance footpath route roughly 100 miles long between the three cathedral cities and county towns of Worcester, Gloucester and Hereford and between their cathedrals. The path also in this way links the two rivers of the three counties, the Severn, by the cathedrals of Gloucester and Worcester, and the Wye which runs by Hereford Cathedral. The path is named after the Three Choirs Music Festival (the first annual meeting believed to have been held in Gloucester in 1715). At the turn of the 19th Century Worcester born composer Edward Elgar became involved not only as organist and choirmaster but also through his own music. The Long Distance Walkers Association suggests that the pathway is not that well promoted by the County Council’s so there is a danger of overgrown paths, broken stiles and broken footbridges!! Wish me luck!!

I know that there are many calls on your generosity and that the whole world seems to be walking to raise money for something. As in the previous seven years of my Charity Walks I will be hoping to raise money for two charities close to my heart, the Women’s Royal Army Corps Association and Cancer Research UK. 

As a veteran and member of the Association I have benefitted from and see the support that this unique charity gives to often isolated female Army veterans. Walking alone, with one other and in Socially distanced groups with other WRAC Association members has kept me reasonably sane during this pandemic.

Me near start of walkwith asparagus
fields and Malvern Hills in
the distance


Walking Group at
Stanbrook Abbey,
Callow End

Walking Group at Much Marcle
Ridge looking west

I have had two diagnoses of cancer in the past decade and I have many family and friends who have been diagnosed with cancer, some of whom are still receiving treatment. I am grateful for the research that saved my life and I am well aware that the research must continue to find better treatments and quicker diagnosis.

If you would like to sponsor me via my Virgin Money Giving page please follow this link:

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/MargaretDaviesWRAC

I am hoping to be able to run some raffles of WRAC memorabilia and other goodies in the future once I have completed my walking challenge - my usual 100 miles in 6 days!!

2 comments:

Thanks for your comment. I will try and reply when I can