Sunday 25 April 2021

Day 6 - Three Choirs Way - Final Day

 Munderfield Row to Worcester Cathedral


It's finished. I'm sitting in a comfy chair in the sun drinking a cold beer. My ancient "gardening" boots are off and my poor, sore feet are enjoying some fresh air & freedom!! 100 miles completed!! 


I seem fortunate to always pick a week of fine weather for these annual walks. I've now put a jinks on all future walks!! Yes - there will be one next year!!


The day started beautifully sunny again but with a bitingly cold northerly wind that made me keep my fleece on up to lunchtime.


I knew that today was going to be long with some climbs and it was a  bit up and down across the valleys from Munderfield to Suckley. 



It was typically beautiful English countryside with rolling hills, lush grassland, the bleating of sheep and a whole chorus of birdsong . . .


. . . but I still had around 18 miles to cover!!



You will almost as pleased as I was to know that no cows were encountered today.



The only ones I saw were on the other side of a very sturdy hedge & gate next to a lane I was walking down. 


There were loads of birds, particularly skylarks over the fields.


I also saw a buzzard up close & personal but no Red Kites though I was told they are about not far from Knightwick.


I did come across some rather unusual animals at Knightwick Manor. I first spied them in the distance as I made my way down through the woods and onto the road.


I couldn't believe my eyes. As I came closer I realised that I was correct - the very high fences confirmed it - there was a herd of deer!!


I suspect they are bound for the venison shelves in supermarkets!


After a very pleasant and not too strenuous (apart from walking about 10 miles!!) mornings "amble" I made my way down to the Surgery at Knightwick where my friends, Paul & Joan kindly met me with a picnic.


Ever thoughtful they had even provided chairs for these aged bones!! Denise had said this morning that if the brought a picnic rug they'd need to be strong enough to haul me upright again after lunch!! Cheeky!!

We dined on Spicy Chicken wraps, Chocolate Caramel Brownies AND Lemon Drizzle cake all washed down with a very acceptable bottle of The Hop Sheds Amber Ale, Wyberton (all their beers are named after chickens because the brewery is in an old chicken shed!!



I took my leave of Paul & Joan and set off again towards Worcester.


The actual Three Choirs Way climbs up & then down Ankerdine Hill.with a summit 490ft high . . . and then back down!!


I knew there was an easier way.


There was, beside the River Teme to Broadwas and then back up the lanes to Broad Green and so back on the Three Choirs Way. The mileage is about the same but it was a lot kinder on my feet, knees and legs!!


From Broad Green it was a comparatively easy, flat (ish!) walk across the fields to Broadheath which was Edward Elgar's birthplace and has a NT museum (his family home) dedicated to his life & works. I was going to take a photo but Denise rang me so I passed it without stopping!!. 


It wasn't long before I crested the hill by Oldbury Farm and got my first glimpse of the Cathedral.


I walked down past the University and down further to the river. That was the long bit I was comparing to the approach to Hereford on Friday. Boring but wider pavements and less traffic. 


I crossed Worcester Bridge, made my way up Copenhagen Street, past all the folks enjoying their picnics beside the River Severn.




I turned along Deansway catching site of the Cathedral again.




As I rounded the corner opposite Cathedral Square I saw Denise waiting for me by the War Memorials. 




I HAD MADE IT!! 





Today I completed 17.3 miles.


That gives me a grand total of 100.3 miles for the complete Three Choirs Way!!


And now . . . food, rest & another cold beer.


My grateful thanks in particular to my wonderful wife, Denise, without whom none of this would be possible.


Also a massive thank you to everyone who has supported me again this year either with emails, messages and donations to my two charities; the Women’s Royal Army Corps Association who is the only charity supporting all females who served or are still serving in the British Army; Cancer Research UK who fund vital research into cancer and its treatments, saving lives like my own.


If you would like to sponsor me via my Virgin Money Giving page please follow this link:

http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/MargaretDaviesWRAC


2 comments:

  1. Well done Marg another 100 mile solo challenge under your belt. Brilliant accomplishment and fabulous blogs. Enjoy those well deserved beers! Thanks also to Denise for being such a great support, being there at the right time with the right things and saying the right things!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mine is but a drop in the ocean compared to the huge events that you organise. We neither of us would function without the support of our lovely families and friends

      Delete

Thanks for your comment. I will try and reply when I can