Wednesday 19 April 2023

2023 Ireland - Day 2

 

Wednesday 19th April 2023

Day 2 Belleek to Pettigoe - 17 miles

The morning started well, a bit blowy but sunny. Denise & I left our home-from-home reasonably early to travel via Ballyshannon to Belleek. There was method in our madness. Belleek boast an amazing little coffee shop, The Thatch, where I aimed to grab a bacon & egg sandwich and a coffee before starting walking.


Imagine my disappointment when we got there to find it was closed!! 

We checked the opening times – 9am to 5pm – it was just after 9 but it was VERY closed!! 

Oh well – I keep complaining that I put on weight doing these walks – enforced dieting today!!




Today is a day of lakes (Loughs), hills and roads. I was going to walk in a very wet, stony, peat-bogged area of Ireland. No chance of any “off-piste” routes as I’d have been up to my neck in water & bog!! 


After yesterday I wasn’t looking forward to the constant pounding my poor feet were going to get; however, some of the roads were very small, underused tracks with grass growing down the middle or with flat, grassy verges so I got some respite.



Dotted around, few and far between, were houses and cottages, some permanent residences and some holiday homes/lets. 


Their views were amazing if you like wild and secluded.


My walk started in sunshine with a blustery breeze. It also started reasonably flat but lulled me into a false sense of security as I was faced with a hill. 


Not what I’d wanted to see a third of the way into my walk!! 



It was one of those hills that went on, . . . . . and on . . . . .oh good I’ve finished . . . . oh no it goes on . . . . and on!! 

The higher I climbed the windier it got. 

The windier it got the cooler it got (despite the climbing!) 

The cooler it got the more I regretted starting out in a thin walking-top and my Pancreatic Cancer T-Shirt) 

Back on went my fleece. 


When I reached one of the supposed summits I had a glorious view over the Lough towards the hills I had been walking yesterday (Red Arrow marks the spot).

I had a late lunch break by some empty Holiday Properties. They afforded me some shelter from the wind and a step to sit on whilst I munched on my sandwiches whilst I wrapped myself in every available bit of extra clothing I carried!!


As I continued towards Pettigoe I came across the Tully Custom & Excise Patrol Station which was built c.1930. When I looked it up they think it might have been moved from another place  along the road but it was used , probably up until 1990’s.

After many more uphill’s and downhill’s  I came to an area of peat bog which is quite extensively being “farmed” for peat logs.


Unlike the peat bricks which I have seen being dug out at some considerable depth this seems to involve “scraping” the surface with a machine that then produces the peat as what frankly I would describe as “turds”!! 

Along with the stripping of the peat surface there seems to be a load of detritus involved, mainly wooden pallets and loads of white, heavy-duty bags.

By journeys end I felt thoroughly battered by the wind. The last half of my walk was directly into the teeth of the wind and the sun had all but disappeared.


Never mind, a cuppa and another of Julia’s coffee and walnut muffins soon put the world to rights.

Another chunk off my total mileage and a visit to a spiritual setting on the cards for tomorrow.

If you would like to sponsor me you can donate to my Give as you Live page at: 

https://donate.giveasyoulive.com/fundraising/margs-ireland-100-mile-charity-walk-2023

10 comments:

  1. Well done again today Marg. What beautiful views you’re encountering, even though to get to see these views you’ve had such long arduous inclines to face first. Keep it up babe, you’re doing amazingly well. X x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynda for your support over the years xx

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you need a sail to push you along Marg. Doing good already kiddo. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't think my sailing skills could cope!! I'd probably end up in the middle of a bog xx

      Delete
  3. Well Done Margaret you are an Absolute Star ⭐️

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - the "Stars" are all the wonderful people who sponsor me xx

      Delete
  4. You are doing absolutely brilliant. It must be so lovely just listening to all the sounds of nature around you. No sign of any Leprechauns yet Marg.? Well done. Love Budgiex

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I will try and reply when I can