Monday 17 April 2023

2023 Walking Ireland - We're here!!

 D-Day Minus 1 - Monday 17th April 2023

The day is nearly here. Yesterday, we drove up through ”The Shires” in glorious sunshine and arrived at Birkenhead Ferry Terminal well in advance to catch our overnight boat. The crossing was so smooth we hardly even knew the boat was travelling!! There was only one fly in the ointment! It is my usual practice to reward my driving with a refreshing pint of Guinness before turning in for the night! Imagine my shock, . . . Nay! Horror . . . when I discovered there was no Guinness on board – they’d run dry!! In fact there was no beer, full-stop!! I had to content myself with a large glass of red wine.

We arrived at Belfast Docks at 0630 on a fairly foggy morning and drove to Donegal. Just as well the road was fairly familiar as the fog was quite thick in places so we couldn’t appreciate the scenery. We landed at our ‘home’ for the two weeks, with our ”Rellies”, at 0930 and the day progressed with some lovely sunshine as my picture shows.

View from my home from home

Tomorrow I start my walk with a “gentle” 15.3 Miler from Meenbog to Laghy. I start in Northern Ireland and end in the Republic of Ireland. At the moment my hosts and Denise are fighting it out to decide who is dropping me off and /or picking me up and on which days!!

My feet have been taped by Dr Clarke & I’m about to tuck into a hearty meal. Then its early bed ready for another early start tomorrow.

Excited . . . Yes

Apprehensive . . . A little

Wish me luck.

3 comments:

  1. Great you arrived safely, will be up to see you. Safe 🚶‍♀️, love sylvia ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I will try and reply when I can