Friday 21 April 2023

2023 Walking Ireland - Day 4

Friday 21st April


Big Bridge Figure of Eight - 11.5 Miles


The Figure of Eight comprises two trails, the Bannadoo Trail and the Mullyfa Trail . . . . or from now on, the Red Trail & the Blue Trail. Both of them are additions to the International Appalachian Trail (IAT) which forms the southernmost part of both trails



I had done some of the Red Trail on day 1 and day 3 so there were few surprises. 

A large Limestone Lough beside a ruined hunting lodge, wide corridors between majestic spruce trees and  where the Trail moved away from the road, wide stony paths with annoyingly large lumps of not-so-crushed-stone. 


The route continued north-eastward from where I’d left it yesterday and met up, not too far away, with the Blue Trail. Reader, I confess, I chickened out!! I didn’t fancy twice up the middle section so I went halfway, turned round, came back to the junction & carried on the Blue Trail!! 



There was a modicum of reasoning behind it; the wind was a north-easterly, blowing in my face now but at my back for the last bit! 

Also I didn’t fancy the uphill climb for the 2nd time at the finish!!

The Blue Trail surface was generally much kinder to my feet with a better (or older) crushed stone more like sand and chippings.



I came across fauna on the trail at last – three sheep! 


They looked at me and,as I got closer, they turned tail and ran. 


I came to an area, Mullyfamore Bog Regeneration Scheme, where they are trying to restore endangered Atlantic Bogs by careful management. 

With that in mind I was horrified to see the litter around the Information Panel. Plastic drink bottles and a can & lid of John West Salmon! Ironic!


I was now in open country and as I had thought, the hefty breeze was in my face. I caught up with my worried sheep again as I headed towards the Killiter Road. 

It was downhill for this bit but still into the wind. I had just realised, as I crossed the Glendergan River, that I had a fair stretch of uphill again. 



I glanced to my right and was shocked to see 4 dead foxes, each hanging on a fence post, presumably as a deterrent to other predators. 

I'm sure they create havoc with lambs and chickens.

Once on the Big Bridge/Killiter Road is was fairly plain sailing (well, walking!). A few lumps & bumps, a lot more traffic until I got closer to the forest and away from habitations, the wind was at my back and all was well with the world. 


Don’t you love place names? 

Some of them here on the ‘Emerald Isle’ are slightly tongue-twisting, especially as I don’t find Gaelic as phonetic as Welsh. 

And then you get some that just tickle your fancy. 

Today’s best place name was . . . SHESKINAWADDY . . . . Isn’t that amazing!


Day 4 done & dusted, a mere 11.5 miles (cos I missed a bit!). Half-way time-wise and just over halfway distance-wise!! 

A cuppa and blackcurrant jam on hot buttered toast eaten sitting in the sun finished the day off well.

If you’d like to donate to my Give as you Live page at: 

https://donate.giveasyoulive.com/fundraising/margs-ireland-100-mile-charity-walk-2023

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I will try and reply when I can