Sunday 6 May 2018

2018 D-Day Minus 1

Sunday 6th May 2018

Norwich City


Today I have settled into my accommodation in Norwich ready to start my 100 Mile Solo Walking Challenge tomorrow, May Day Bank Holiday.
I will be walking between 16 - 20 miles each day for six days, along the Peddars Way and round the North Norfolk Coast to finish in Great Yarmouth on Saturday 12th May.
I have chosen this route because on the 11th May 1943 twenty-six members of the Auxiliary Territorial Service (the then women's branch of the army) were killed in a bombing raid on the seafront at Great Yarmouth. Their billet took a direct hit.
There will be a short Memorial Service at the Burlington Hotel (site of the original bombing) at 1100 hrs this Friday 11th May attended by members of the WRAC Association (Incorporating the QMAAC & ATS Comrades Association). It is possible that this will be the last time that members of the ATS will be able to attend this annual commemoration.
My walk is to honour the 26 ladies and the other remarkable members of the ATS (some of whom I am honoured to call my friends) who 'did their bit' for the war effort allowing us all to enjoy the freedom & rights which we enjoy today and which I would still actively protect: the right to live our lives peaceably & in harmony with ALL people. The right to live in a tolerant world.
If my cancer has taught me anything it is that:
a) Our lives are short & unpredictable
b) We should 'seize the day' and enjoy every moment
c) Trying to be understanding and tolerant is way more satisfying than bearing grudges.

If you would like to help my fundraising please do so at https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/MargaretDaviesWRAC


These are my planned stops (hopefully!!)

Lunch Stops
Probably sometime between 1200hrs and 1400hrs (no guarantees!!)   
Day 1) Harpley (Rose & Crown, PE31 6TW)
Day 2) Brancaster (Ship Hotel, PE31 8AP)   
Day 3) Stiffkey (Red Lion, NR23 1AJ)  
Day 4) Sherringham (2 Lifeboats, NR26 8JR)  
Day 5) Bacton (Tea Shed, NR12 0EP) or Poachers Pocket, NR12 0LS)  
Day 6) Winterton On Sea (Fisherman’s Return, NR29 4BN)
End Stops
Probably sometime between 1700hrs - 1800hrs.
(If no-one is waiting I’ll probably return straight to Norwich)
Day 1) Ringstead, Gin Trap Inn, PE36 5JU (Only if I’m doing OK!!)   
Day 2) Burnham Overy, The Hero, A149, PE31 8JE  
Day 3) Cley-next-Sea, The George, High St, NR25 7RN
Day 4) Overstrand, White Horse, 15 High St, NR27 0AB  
Day 5) Sea Palling, Probable pick-up at NR12 0UE and drive to Gt Yarmouth, Burlington Palm Court, for meal if anybody is planning to still be there!!!
Day 6) Grt Yarmouth, Burlington Palm Court, North Dr, NR30 1EG

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I will try and reply when I can