Saturday 12 May 2018

Day 6 Final Day

Day 6 Saturday 12 May


Wahoo!! Last day! Happy days😀
My day began well when the lady on the next table at breakfast generously donated to my fundraising - I am yet again amazed by the generosity and kindness of people that I meet on my walks.

I chose the alternative route again today due to cliff erosion, tide coming in . . .but mainly coz its so bloomin’ hard on the legs!!!! I kept resisting the temptation to sneak a view of the sea until I came to a signpost saying "Seal Colony viewing platform" I climbed the steps up to the top of the dunes & made my way the short distance to the platform. Nothing! Nowt! Nada!! - Saturday must be seals day off!! Disappointed I made my way back down the steps & returned to the path.

Whilst I was walking on Days 2 & 3 I kept hearing a strange sounding bird-call, like a Swanny-Whistle call? DAH, DIT DIT, -- DAH
Love to know what it is. Heard it on the marshland behind the dunes again today.

I arrived at Winterton a little early but decided to press on & forego the pub stop. This is becoming a habit!! Must try harder on this glorified pub crawl! Instead I ate my sandwich sitting in the sun, cwtched down in a hollow, in Winterton Dunes. I think my feet enjoyed the rest as much as I did!!


Onward past Hemsby, Newport (scene of much devastation of cliffside bungalows this winter), Scratby (Oh goody!! Sand again!!)

Suddenly there was California!! Didn’t think I’d walked THAT far! The final bit of the journey was past Caister-on-Sea and finally the prom at Great Yarmouth.

As I wandered along the prom I espied a familiar figure, camera poised to record the scene!!


My lovely wife Denise without whom this years challenge might well have foundered. It’s my challenge and I accept the hours of planning & training that go into making it happen. Denise, bless her, is always there to support and help me even though she would rather just walk to the nearest coffee shop. My grateful thanks to her in particular and to all the wonderful people who have supported me and donated so generously.

Now then . . . . where to next year? . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I will try and reply when I can