Tuesday 8 May 2018

Day 2 Tues 8 May

Day 2 - Tuesday

Early rise at 6am to get breakfasted & on the road to my start point. Holme next to Sea & its sand  & dunes may not be the easiest part of the journey I'm sure. Walking into Thornham was easier. Coming from Pembrokeshire it always amazes me how far away the sea is on the east coast!!

Walk in Norfolk they said . . . . Its flat they said!! Unfortunately the "coast" path turned inland at Thornham, climbing a fairly steep, straight road. Once at the top it then turned at right angles along fields for a mile, turned a right angle again & headed back down to Brancaster. All the time I was walking in the sweltering heat I kept thinking "Why??!!" Surely the planners etc could have found a flatter, easier route?
 
Never mind. Today’s stop was almost bang on the route so my lunch stop was the Ship Inn at Brancaster for crab sandwich & a pint!! Happy days 😎 A rest in the shade during the heat of the day is, was & always will be an excellent idea.
Leaving Brancaster and edging the marshes I heard my 1st cuckoo of the year. The 1st half hours walk was pleasant but for the heat and lack of a breeze. I could hear loads of different bird calls but I’m rubbish at identifying them either by sound or sight (with a few exceptions). My day was made even more perfect when I happened upon The Crab Hut, a small kiosk. They didn’t have any crab (?!)  but I did manage to get half a small lobster which I ate in the shade overlooking the marches. Made me a very happy bunny 😁


So, after my 2nd lunch!!, I set off again. I spent most of the rest of the afternoon on a dyke surrounded by birds!! It really is a “birders” paradise - if only I’d remembered my binoculars. Plenty to see to keep my mind off my aches & pains. The dyke curved in a semi-circle it’s start & finish about a mile & a half apart. Towards the end of my walk I could see the end-point a tantalising quarter mile away. It was hard to walk away from my destination thanks to the intervening marsh!!


I arrived wearily at The Hero pub in Burnham Overy and awaited Denise picking me up. I had to sup a pint of Adnams to while away the time!! Another 17 or so miles completed. Maybe tomorrow might be cooler.


Thank you to everyone for your support & encouragement.
I really do appreciate it.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I will try and reply when I can