Wednesday 9 May 2018

Day 3 Weds 9th May

Day 3 Weds

I started not far from the pub that Denise picked me up at last night!! Another fine, sunny day but with a cool breeze so walking was not so sweaty. (Yuck!!) The first part was walking through a mixed woodland and sand dunes - another of my least favourite walking surfaces!! I was still miles from the sea!!

At Holkham Gap the path switched to the land side of the woodland and the path became a grassy track - much kinder.
I soon reached the Coastguard Station at Wells-Next-The-Sea. I couldn’t resist the temptation to have a look at the sea. I climbed up to the coast guard lookout station, knocked on the door and was greeted by Phillip and Andy. We chatted, I signed their visitors book & gave them my card, I took their photo with “The SEA” in the background. Phillip kindly offered me a coffee which I had to decline (too diuretic!!) I thanked them & wished them a quiet day and made my way along the mile long sea wall to Wells itself.

From Wells the path hugged the edge of the marshes with its teeming wildlife. I find the call of some ‘sea birds’ beautifully haunting.
Today I was reminded of home (Pembrokeshire) with the cry of whirling oystercatchers as tide washed in. As I walked near one of the creeks I saw a curtseying sailboat - I didn’t think I was that important!!

It was about here that I wished I could walk on water. In the distance you can just make out the orange Lifeboat Station: 1.5 miles away as the crow flies - nearer 3.5 to walk!!!

I was buzzed by a few fighter jets as I walked between Stiffkey and Blakeney.
I decided not to stop off at Stiffkey as it was a bit off the path and my feet were complaining. I knew I had about 8 miles to go before the end of day stop so I thought I'd be sensible - again!! Blimey! Twice in a week!! I was sorely tempted by the Coasthopper bus though.

I found a large old wooden beam as my seat for lunch of sandwiches, lettuce & fruit washed down with a glug or two of water! The view and the ability to listen to and watch the flocks of birds that squabbled (& bonked!) as the incoming tide crept into the creeks more than made up for the lack of beer!
I still had a way to go so on I plodded. The walking was either on top of the sea defences, usually a gravel/sand surface or skirting the marsh itself on grassy worn paths. On the dykes it was good to see the saltwater habitat on one side and the freshwater habitat on the other. 

I past Morston with its small marina and continued on across the dykes to Blakeney. I decided to be sensible (AGAIN!!) and cut the day’s walk here, a mile before Cley next the Sea. My feet had been playing up so I rang for Dr Denise to pick me up early! Whilst I waited for her to arrive I decided to walk (hobble) along the river front towards the path to Blakeney Point. 


There was a car park and . . . Happy days . . . A hut selling . . . CRAB!! I purchased an amazing crab salad with a whole dressed local crab, mixed salad & crisps together with an elderflower pressé - all for the same price that I paid yesterday for just a small half lobster!! The lady running the stall & I chatted and I told her about my walk & gave her my card. As I turned to head to the car (Dr Denise had just arrived) there was a couple behind me. The lady said “Wow! Well done” I loaded my stuff & got into the car & tried to juggle with my takeaway crab salad & drink. The lady who had overheard my conversation came over and very kindly gave me a donation. She said she was a dog walker and thought walking 100 miles was amazing! Sadly I didn’t ask her name. It was very kind of her to donate - thank you 


As I write this Dr Denise is “operating” on my tootsies!! I can’t self-medicate them coz I can’t see them!!
Tomorrow is another day - I’ve done over half the distance now so it's all downhill from here!! Isn’t it??

1 comment:

  1. Your doing so well, best sore foot forward almost there ox

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I will try and reply when I can