Saturday 23 April 2022

2022 - Day 2 - Finally the Great Glen Way

Last night I took a little jaunt from Inverness Castle back down to our hotel on the GGW. It really was a glorious walk as the sunshine finally put in an appearance. 
What a pretty walk it was too dropping from the castle to the river by the statues of Faith, Hope & Charity. The pathway then wove through the wooded islands with the river running round & through. 
So, with first 3 miles of the Great Glen Walk completed I had a good night's rest. 
This morning dawned just as misty as yesterday but without so much wind! This morning also meant that I had about an hour of climbing to do. 
The higher I went the colder it got but the sweatier I became (too much information?!) I was getting so warm my glasses kept steaming up but my hand remained frozen (I'd forgotten my gloves!) I was walking in mist which sometimes turned to muzzle and the views back over Inverness were obliterated by cloud. 
Once I'd finished climbing I was able to enjoy the scenery more. Ghostly lichen shrouded trees and multicoloured pillows of moss abounded. 
Occasional clumps of daffodils still bloomed in sheltered places. 
About two thirds of the way, after a particularly tiring lond stretch of undulating roadway, the path headed back into woodland. Not far from Abriachan, I came across the Abriachan Eco-Campsite and Café run by Sandra and her husband. I decided I needed something warming so I ordered Soup & a Roll and Coffee & Cake. It arrived and the portions were HUGE!! 
It could have fed all of the Hereford Walking Group!! Everything was delicious particularly the soup & cake. They had kindly supplied a paper bag to carry off the excess. I ate all the soup, the healthy tomatoes and half the cake - Oh! And three chocolate mint matchmakers. I carted away the roll (with lashings of REAL butter & masses of cheese) & half the cake. Its well worth a visit if you're ever that way. Apparently they're going to put a picture of me (with my WRAC Association T-shirt) on their Facebook Page. I'll check it out later.
Anyway, tummy nicely full & me a tad warmer, I headed off on my way to Drumnadrochit. 
My Satnav had said a respectable 12.5 miles as I restarted it after pausing it over lunch. I hadn't gone more than a couple of miles when I checked my gizmo and saw it's battery was on red! I hastily dug out my power-packed & plugged it in. The blooming thing had a 'turn'. Basically - it went bonkers!!  For about half a mile it shot me off somewhere to the south east then brought me back to where I was!! (Denise wondered if it had something to do with the Russians!!) It still showed where I was but I could no longer rely on the mileage counter!! 
From there on it was a bit of a slog. The undulating forestry road leading down past Corryfoyness was stony and uneven and then the track down through the woods whilst very beautiful and tranquil was very steep with amazing trip hazards like tree roots and jutting rocks. 
The cathedral-like fir trees towered above me as I wound my way up and down and zig-zagged left & right. Boy, did my knees feel that final descent!! 
Eventually I came out into the open and had my first proper view of Loch Ness & Urquhart Castle. 
My first glimpse of the Loch today had been just a mile before when I could just make it out between the trees far below.
The 2 mile tramp alongside the A82 to Drumnadrochit itself was tedious and hard going but fortunately Denise was there to greet me and drive me to Basecamp 2, our rented cottage for the week.
When I finished today's walk I looked at my gizmo. 
Apparently I'd walked 452 miles and had shot off to the middle of the North Sea at 129 mph!! 

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for your blog I love reading it 😊 Natalie Cardiff branch 😀

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you're enjoying it. It helps to set things in my mind each day ☺

      Delete
  2. Well done for undertaking this

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - Despite my moans & groans I really do enjoy it!!

      Delete

Thanks for your comment. I will try and reply when I can