Sunday 17 April 2022

2022 - Planning Over - Almost at the Start

 Easter Sunday 2022

Sunday 17th April

In a few days time Denise and I will be travelling up to Scotland to start the latest of my annual 100 Mile walks for charity.

My Route

The planning is over, all my kit is laid out ready for packing and I have all the maps and information that I could possibly need (I hope!!)

So, before I set off I wanted to say a huge "Thank-you" to every single person who has already donated to my walk and thus to my two chosen charities. I am well aware of the huge strain on finances in this current economic situation and the way that Covid has affected people. I am also more than aware that there are disastrous situations all over the world needing our aid and attention. Nevertheless I am hugely grateful for all of the donations I have received and assure everyone that almost every penny goes to further the work of both charities. 

For the National Caribbean Monument Charity that means upholding and remembering the sacrifices made by Caribbean people in support of the British Empire. They also  hope to reinforce their contributions through presentations and literature, educational programmes to schools, churches, organisations and the general public thus creating a legacy for present and future generations.   

Proposed NCMC Monument

The Women's Royal Army Corps Association's aim is to maintain contact between former members of the QMAAC, ATS and WRAC and women still serving in the ARMY thereby fostering esprit de Corps, comradeship and welfare. With regards to welfare they aim to relieve those in need by making grants or providing or paying for goods, services or facilities for them. Female veterans are still a largely forgotten group within the military and the particularly the general population and the Association tries to bridge that gap.

So that's the reason I do this completely bonkers thing!! To try and raise the profile of veterans; to remind the world that we do exist, that we have served and in many cases have made sacrifices. Also to remind other female veterans that we can own and validate our previous service to the crown and country and be proud of our veteran status.

I'll climb down from my soap-box now and "gird my loins" for the challenge ahead. A small matter of 100 miles of walking to complete in a week. I am hoping to meet up with some other WRAC Veterans during this walk; Moira and Ann are going to meet me as I amble around the Inverness area on Friday at the start of the walk; Liz and Janette are going to meet me at Fort William as I end the walk on the following Thursday. The intervening days will be me keeping my head down & focused on the task in hand whilst Denise picks up the pieces and patches me together!!

You can donate to my walk by following the link below:

https://donate.giveasyoulive.com/fundraising/marg-davies-100-mile-walking-challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I will try and reply when I can