Saturday 30 April 2022

2022 - End of 100 Mile Charity Walk - Postscript

So now we're home, safe & sound, I'm trying to get everything fixed in my mind.
My abiding memories will be of the stunning majesty of Scotlands vast and varied landscape. The extensive mirror-like Lochs on sunny early mornings. The forests with their cathedral-like columns of fir-tree trunks. The towering mountains rising steeply from the glen floors, enveloping and looming over everything like some massive wave of stone.
From the start . . . . at a cold and breezy Fort George, in the company of my three WRAC Association comrades Moira, Margaret and Ann.
To the end . . . . 
at the similarily cool & breezy Fort William in the company of my two WRAC Association comrades Liz and Janette, I have thoroughly enjoyed walking the Great Glen Way (plus a bit!!) 
Denise and I were lucky enough to be staying in a quaint cottage, The Malt House, in Fort Augustus for the week.  We've found self-catering works best for us. 
The cottage was on the narrow peninsula between the River Oich & the Caledonian Canal at the western end of Loch Ness. 
Denise also managed to find an excellent coffee shop, the Caledonian Canal Centre, a couple of hundred yards from the cottage. She became such a good customer they gave her a loyalty card! 
We left the cottage very early this morning and made good time along the twisty and sometimes narrow A82 to Fort William and then through Glencoe. As it was so early the traffic was light; at times the road was deserted but still, in the middle of nowhere, we came across roadworks . . . . and the traffic lights were red!! 
The road snaked onwards to Loch Lomond where it became even narrower, pretty but a bit hairy!  Thank the Lord that Denise was driving. 
On the eight and a half hour drive home we stopped once at a suprisingly 'pretty' services area, Annandale Water, on the M74 where we had coffee and swapped drivers. 
Now we're home, the washing machine is working overtime, we've fed & watered and it won't be long before we're both fast asleep.
Next year's 100 mile Charity Walk is already in the planning. Where might it be? Just a hint maybe - where have I not walked yet?  Roll on 2023!!

As I publish this, thanks to all the wonderful people who have already donated, I have managed to raise just over £3,000 plus Gift Aid for my two charities, the Women’s Royal Army Corps Association and The National Caribbean Monument Charity.
If you wish you can still donate to my Give as you Live page at: https://donate.giveasyoulive.com/fundraising/marg-davies-100-mile-walking-challenge

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I will try and reply when I can