Monday 23 March 2020

Day 1 Monday 23rd March 2020


Unusually, & weirdly, the day started outside my own home!!
That’s never happened before. I had decided that, as my walk was originally supposed to be in Scotland I would try and mirror the distance, terrain, ascents/descents and where possible the type of locations. I posed the question yesterday; “Where would I walk that would mirror Fort George, Cawdor Wood and Culloden Battlefield near Inverness?”


My first stop was Powick Old Bridge which spans the River Teme. This was the site of the first skirmish of the English Civil War in September 1642 (before the Battle of Edge Hill in October1642) Prince Rupert and 11 of his troops confronted Parliamentarian, Colonel Brown (!!) and 10 men.

The ensuing Battle of Powick Bridge was engaged by 1000 Parliamentary & Royalist troops and the first shots were fired by the Royalists and was countered by a Parliamentarian cavalry charge. It was a bit of a tactical mess by both sides but afterwards lessons were learnt and tactics re-considered by both sides.


From Powick I had to make my way up to Worcester Woods, by County Hall. Because of the recent flooding and major roadworks on the A440 some of the off-road footpaths were waterlogged or closed. I had to walk beside the busy road but at least no-one else was mad enough to be walking that way!

I managed to wend my way to the woods, skirting and through housing estates, only meeting a few dog walkers. We all gave each other wide berths!



Worcester Woods was also quieter than I had expected. Again there were mainly dog walkers, including a family with three young children who were having fun in a muddy creek. I managed to peak over the fence at the garden of the Worcestershire Breast Unit Haven before heading back towards home via Perry Wood. 




I had another brief walk beside the main London Road before entering Fort Royal, the remains of a fortified site protecting the city of Worcester. This saw one of the fiercest actions of the Battle of Worcester which ended the Civil War in September 1651.
It was a wonderful place to stop for my mid-morning snack of marmalade sandwich (I’ve been practising my Paddington Bear “Hard Stare” too!)  I walked down the hill from Fort Royal to the Commandery, which was the Royalist Headquarters during the Battle. Charles Stuart watched some of the battle from Worcester Cathedral Tower. 

From the Commandery I made my way to the River Severn which I crossed at Diglis Bridge. Now I was on the west side of the river again so I headed home for a brief respite (& loo!!) Apple and sandwich devoured with a large glass of water. 





Then it was off again, back to the river and heading south along the Monarch’s Way. This 615 mile Long Distance Path follows the escape of Charles II after the Battle of Worcester.
It took me past the points on the River’s Severn and Teme where Oliver Cromwell cleverly constructed two ‘bridges of boats’ which allowed him to move his troops easily toward the battlefield.

The strongest and saddest connection between this walk and the one that I was supposed to be doing in Scotland is that the majority of Charles II’s army at the Battle of Worcester in 1651 came from the Scottish Highlands and Lowlands. Charles had an Army of 13,000; they’d marched hundreds of miles south with him from Scotland. Cromwell had put into the battlefield 30,00 men, consisting of professional soldiers and part-time militia. Many  of the Scottish soldiers died, many were captured and sent to the colonies virtually as slaves. Very few of them returned home.

Day 1 done and dusted, and just over 18 miles under my belt (well, feet!) The weather has been glorious and I’m feeling good.

 Where will I be tomorrow? It was supposed to be the biggest day’s climb of the whole walk. Now where would that be round here?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I will try and reply when I can