Thursday 26 March 2020

Day 4 Thursday 26th March 2020

After seeing all the traffic yesterday, particularly cars, on my walk to Callow End and back, today I was contemplating driving to Hollybush at the southern end of the Malvern Hills. My intention was to park up in the car park and do a figure of eight walk on this quieter side of the hills. Probably taking in the Iron Age fort at Holybush, the Obelisk at Eastnor and then cutting back to circumnavigate Ragged Stone Hill and possibly Chase End Hill. As I say, that was my intention but,  . . . . after a lot of tossing, turning and thinking overnight I decided that I would obey the letter of the law, leave my car at home and walk from my front doorstep again. 


Being a city (all be it a small one that feels more like a large market town), there are a fair few folks trying to keep fit! The earlier the better as far as avoiding people is concerned so this morning I set off at 0645!!


Even so, having decided that I would take in the city riverscape first, there were a few others doing the same, mostly runners and cyclists. We all kept our safe distances and generally gave a cheery "Good Morning" as we passed. 




I followed the Severn Way northwards heading out of the city towards the village of Hallow. It was another glorious day if a little chilly. Although I had passed or seen half a dozen people on the city 'centre' paths, once I was level with (but on the opposite side of) the racecourse I was on my own. Solitary splendour; just how I like my walks (WRAC Hereford Branch Walking Group no offence!!). 


The path wound through scrub woodland that had until recently been submerged in weeks of flooding. Considering the deluge that we had experienced over the last couple of months I was surprised that the path was so good.


It was a bit soggy in patches but all the footbridges were intact and I only came across one fallen tree semi-blocking the path. I required some clambering to overcome this obstacle. I think my days of tree climbing are long gone.



Yet again today my Activity App had decided I was too sloth-like. I'd travelled around 3 miles but the App showed only 0.04mls. It's getting worse!! 

I switched it off & on; shook it (that brilliant technical move!!); told it I was hiking and then put it in my pocket and hoped for the best!

The path that I wanted to take veered away from the Severn Way and the River Severn itself and headed towards the village of Hallow. Hallow has a 'stonking' great church which is evidence that it must have been a very rich estate and probably a very lucrative 'living' for some clergymen.


The only problem about coming away from the river is that it always involves a climb. This path was no exception, a stairway to heaven!! 


I met my first walker halfway up the steps. I didn't hesitate in stepping off the path to allow her to pass at a safe distance. To be truthful, I was glad of the break in climbing. We passed the time of day and marveled at our fortune with the weather. 


Once at the top it was but a short walk to and across the main road and down the other side of the village to reach the minor road leading to the next village. There was a path across farmland that might have sufficed but the "coos" from yesterday were still fresh in my mind so I stuck to the road.

The road led to a lane and the lane to a path through and around the village of Lower Broadheath. In all this time of walking I had met one other walker and a couple of cyclists. I'd also managed to stay off the busier roads. 


The final bit of my outward leg was across Broadheath Common a wide, open kind of large village green. 


It was deserted apart from the many cars & vans on the roads skirting it.


Finally I started to head home along the Three Choirs Way. 


This part of the Way is from Hereford to Worcester and it passes the birthplace of the composer most associated with the Three Choirs Festivals, Edward Elgar. 


The House has fairly recently been purchased and refurbished by the National Trust. 

Apart from the original house it also has a large Visitor Centre (with cafe when its open) 

The Three Choirs Way winds between Elgar's family home and the new Centre. 


This first part of the Three Choirs Way, up to the crest of Atchen Hill, was very boggy so yet again I got muddy boots! I decided to stop for a break and some refreshment halfway down the other side of the hill in the sunlight. I mused on how idyllic it all was (corona virus not withstanding) sitting in the sun, munching on a homemade wrap (easier to eat and transport than sandwiches), listening to the sounds of nature and the farm machinery working away in the distance. My rest over (& I'd finished my food!) so I headed onwards cresting another small hill until I could see Worcester sprawled out before me. I was within a mile of the city limits. The path was narrower as I looked to start my descent. Coming up the hill towards me were two couples each a safe distance apart. I waited (it seemed like an age!) till the first couple passed with their equally slow moving dog. And then, a few moments later, the second couple passed. They remarked on how fit and lean we were all going to be at the end of this mayhem! Once they had passed I continued my way down hill towards so called civilisation . . . . and people.


I managed to avoid most people by crossing to the other side of the street or taking lesser paths and roads until I finally reached home again having solo walked a 'tidy' 12.5 miles. 

Over half of my intended 100 miles completed. Let's hope the weather holds a bit longer. At this rate it's going to take me another 5 to 6 days to reach target - always providing we don't end up in lockdown.

No flowers today so here's one I took earlier!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I will try and reply when I can