Tuesday 24 March 2020

Day 2 Tuesday 24th March 2020

Well the Prime Minister's directive last night has put a slightly different slant on things. Denise and I have to remain socially isolated (we've already been doing this). Only one of us will be doing any shopping about once a week so little change there, just not going together. At the moment neither of us has any call upon any part of our health service although I'm sure my future dental appointment will be cancelled. 
The 'interesting' ones are the exercise and no unnecessary journeys. Once a day walking, running, cycling or going to the allotment allowed. My brother & sister-in-law (in their 70's) have been taking their car to a secluded spot and then walking because where they live has busy roads and lots of people. Is that an unnecessary journey?
So where does that put me and my walk? My form of exercise is and always has been walking. Denise prefers gyms (not allowed) and gardening.
 
Not just her own garden but she volunteers for two healthcare gardens, Worcestershire Breast Unit Haven and, more recently, St Cloud Nursing Home. The work that she does outdoors brings great comfort and pleasure to patients and residents. Are either of these unnecessary journeys? If she is allowed to journey there and I tag along for the ride can I then walk back home?

Needs thinking about. I'll let you know what I decide . . . . or what is decided for me!!


One of my main reasons for doing this walk right now is that my cousin (who I used to walk out and about in her pram when she was a baby and I was about 8!) was due to go into the  Royal London Hospital for a cancer operation today but its been cancelled. I had dedicated this year's walk to her for her speedy recovery and return to good health. She is one of many family and friends who are going through cancer at the moment and I know how that feels.
Walking in isolation
Today I went out for my one walk at 0745 this morning in the hope that there were not too many other people doing the same. It was another cool but sunny morning as I headed from home back along the Monarch's Way towards Powick Bridge again. 
I have decided that I'd give you another bit of history of the area. 

Firstly I was able to overlook the confluence of the Rivers Severn and Teme today. Yesterday there was a young lady enjoying the peace and quiet so I let it be. 
Probable site of Boat Bridge
across the River Severn

Today I was able to stand and picture in front of me the bridge of boats that Cromwell had strung across the Severn. This was the tactic that won the battle, his ability to move his troops rapidly from the eastern side of Worcester (Red Hill and Fort Royal) to  the western side at Powick and to repel the Royalist at both Fort Royal and those advancing from St John's.



I continued my journey beside the Teme tramping through the early morning wet grass.

I noticed that my walking boots appeared to shine in the sunlight as if I had "bulled" them for some ceremony.


I hadn't! It was just the dew glistening.


And so it was back to Powick Bridge again (the site of the first skirmish of the Civil War)

This time I was concentrating on Powick Mills on the western side of the bridge.It is thought that there have been mills on this site since Medieval times. They used water power, initially from Laughern Brook and later, more reliably by diverting part of the Teme. 

In the 18th Century it became an Iron Forge where pig iron was brought in by boat, heated in furnaces and hammered using water power. Later a rolling mill was developed which squashed the bars into sheets again using water power. 

The same technology was also used to crush material for the Worcester Porcelain factory.



In 1894 a hydro electric power station was built on the site. At the time it was the largest one in Britain and the first one built by a local authority.



This is the structure that we see today.


From Powick Bridge I made a detour to Powick Church another site closely connected to the Civil Wars. Cromwell's reinforcements from Wales were harried by snipers in and on the church tower. 

If you look closely at the second picture you can see, to the right and a little below the larger tower window, some round pitted marks on the wall not far from the modern drainage pipe. They are reputed to be shot holes from musket fired at the Royalist defenders. 





Today I managed to walk 10 miles in one go although my technology would tell you different! 
My Satmap said 10 miles when I stopped it but only 9.85 miles once I'd saved it!! 
My phone App decided it wasn't playing after only 3.36 miles!!





I think I'll stick to flowers 😃 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I will try and reply when I can