Wednesday 11 March 2020

March 2020 - "Stormy Weather"

Me in a snow storm!


Just over a month to go before I start my 2020 Solo 100 Mile Charity Walk. As has been well publicised in the media my part of the world has had some interesting weather over the last few months. We’ve had Storm Ciara, Storm Dennis and Storm Jorge with their winds and rainfall causing chaos. Needless to say my training has suffered a bit. Some of my planned training walks had to be abandoned or re-routed thanks to floods and some of my journeys to walks took detours thanks to fallen trees and floods.


Worcester & River Severn Flooding
Worcester - some properties became
islands



Having said that I have managed to keep up my mileage to build stamina. I have also succeeded
in losing some weight thanks to a mostly ‘Dry January’ and being more aware of the food that I’m
eating. Both of these have not been easy thanks to the many ‘social’ WRAC events that I’ve been
attending. We’re a very sociable group!! 
Majorie (statue), Vera (dec)
& Margaret Walkeden
Margaret Walkeden at the WRAC
plot before it was re-vamped

I’m looking forward to another gathering of WRAC Association ladies at the National Memorial
Arboretum on Saturday 21st March. It will be a very special occasion when we dedicate a new
statue to the WRAC honouring all those who served between 1949 and 1992.
The new statue (named “Maureen”) will be standing near her predecessor (named “Majorie”),
a lady of the ATS honouring those who served during World War II between 1938 and 1949.
I am hoping to drum up a few more donations via a raffle for some WRAC related prizes and
my wonderful Mascot “Piper Angus”

Piper Angus -
hand-knitted by a
WRAC veteran friend






At the moment I’m trying to keep the soles of my feet in tip-top order whilst also keeping up with
my walking and general fitness training. I have received loads of brilliant suggestions regarding
staying blister-free; all I have to do is work out which ones work for me and my feet!!

Once again my grateful thanks to all those who have donated to my two charities, either in person,
through raffles or through my Virgin Money Giving Page:
https://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/MargaretDaviesWRAC

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I will try and reply when I can