Friday 27 March 2020

Day 5 Friday 27th March 2020

Early start again to beat the hordes. I left the house at 0645 and this time I headed westward out of the city through the grounds of Worcester City Golf and Country Club. 

I  crossed the still busy A4440 (Worcester Southern Link Road) by means of a fairly high footbridge and on to the village of Rushwick (waving to our nieces house as I passed - too early to expect movement!!) 

Once I'd skirted the village I then headed down towards Bransford Bridge which gave me an idea for tomorrow's walk!! But you'll have to wait till tomorrow for that!

I crossed the equally busy main road which leads eventually to Hereford and headed up Otherton Lane. There would have been a spectacular view of the Malverns if it hadn't been so misty. That was to my left and a sizeable Solar Farm was to my right. I bet they generate a bit more electricity than my 28 panels! 

It wasn't long before I came to and had to cross the busy main A44 Leominster road - hopefully that was the last of the major roads until I come back into Worcester city again. 

I did notice today that the forecast for cooler weather had arrived. It was hazier with a cold and freshening northerly wind. I suspect its only going to get cooler over the weekend. 

Most of my walking today was on earth/mud paths across fields and skirting villages with a sprinkling of tarmacked lanes and pavements. My route took me through Upper and Lower Broadheath. 
I visited the birthplace of Sir Edward Elgar again and took a picture of the front of the house looking very picturesque in the Spring sunshine. I was now on the same route that I'd walked yesterday, only in reverse. 


From the Broadheaths I skirted Peachley and walked down the lane towards Hallow again. 


In the distance I could see the spire of the church. 


The climb up towards the village church didn't seem as steep yesterday when I was descending!! 


I decided to take a little detour to get a good picture of the magnificent and imposing Church of St Philip & St James (maybe that's why its so big - its named after TWO saints!!) 

I had been walking for just over 3 hrs and in that time I had met 3 walkers and 3 runners. Social Distancing at its best. 

From the church I went down the steps into the woods below Hallow. Although climbing down isn't as lung-busting as ascending I think its trickier as there's always a chance of catching ones foot on the uneven steps and pitching headfirst downwards. Reader - I took great care!! 


At last I had made it back to the River Severn again. 


I headed southwards along the flood-worn path, back towards the city. 


I came across the fallen tree that I'd clambered over in a very ungainly fashion yesterday.

Today I decided to take my backpack off and crawl under it; still ungainly but probably safer. 



Mind you, I did manage to bang my head again on the self-same branch as yesterday! 

I had my Elevenses closer to midday sitting on a very substantial concrete bridge 'parapet'. I was just packing up when it seemed (after the solitude) as though the world and its wife were walking out of Worcester. First a young couple, then an older couple and finally a young couple with a baby in a buggy. Everyone kept their 'Social Distance' and it was nice to see folk out enjoying the sun. 


As I got closer to Sabrina Bridge so I could see more people. I had already stepped aside to let a runner and a gentleman with what appeared to be a bag of shopping pass and I could see more folks in front of me.


Wishing to avoid any further contact I headed up a path away from the river. I'm not sure that was the easiest bit of walking of the day. Stairway to St Johns!! 


I managed to reach home via a slightly circuitous route which included crossing the empty Golf Course again. 


I am very pleased with today's walk.


On top of everything else all my gizmos decided to work properly. 


I managed 16.5 miles which makes a total of 69 miles so far. 


Only another 31 miles to go!!


Just when I was feeling very pleased with myself I looked outside and noticed my neighbour across the road doing her Self Isolation by cleaning out her driveway drains. 


She's 88 years young!! 


Amazing lady who does so much to support my walks and raffles for the WRAC Association.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I will try and reply when I can