Saturday 28 March 2020

Day 6 Saturday 28th March 2020


Another early start and, dressed in my green WRAC Association walking shirt, I headed off in a westerly direction again across the 'greens' of the closed Golf Course (not really; don't panic golfers!!) 

I feel a theme coming on. 

Don't worry, this is me on a field nearby not the golf course.





I discovered this glorious Red Robin hedge in the village of Rushwick. It was a cheery splash of colour on what started out as a rather cold, gloomy and windy day. I followed the same route I'd taken yesterday but, instead of crossing the main Hereford road, I continued down it to Bransford Bridge. 

This is one of the many Worcestershire bridges that was under water during the recent flooding. 

My walks normally are meticulously planned. This year they have been more 'ad hoc'. I had planned the first couple of days but after that it has just happened!! 

Today though I'd a rough idea of where I was going but I decided as I was walking that I would generally stick to lanes and quiet roads rather than crossing farmland. 



It meant I could get a wiggle on despite stopping frequently to listen to birdsong, admire views or take photos. 

The weather remained cold thanks to a brisk northerly wind but there were brief spells of sunshine to brighten up the gloom as my pictures of the different views of the Malvern Hills show.

Back to my 'green' theme mentioned earlier. Today was my day for being in greens. First stop Collett's Green; closely followed by Bowling Green (a place not a game); Bastonford intervened before I arrived at Deblin's Green where I headed away from the road and towards the Old Hills again.


I have decided that sheep are hilarious (I also can see where humans get their flock or herd mentality from, stupidly following on just because the first in line did!) 
I came upon a farmer and his three fields of sheep. He was feeding two of the flocks who had lovely little spring lambs. Prior to his arrival the sheep were safely grazing, a calm and idyllic pastoral scene. The minute he pulled up at the first field all serenity evaporated. 
I have never heard such a cacophony as the sheep headed towards the farmer. Long forgotten were the lambs who were left behind looking after their mums in bewilderment (looking a bit 'sheepish' too!!) The mums in the first field fed their faces whilst their offspring flocked together trying to avoid the farmer; the sheep in the second field (who all appeared to be 'lambless') continued the din of baa-ing as if complaining that they weren't being fed. The farmer (to loud, disgruntled Baa's) drove off to feed the flock in the third field leaving flock number two still following him and complaining. Blimey! What a racket! Worse than an WRAC Association dinner-night!


Nine miles completed and I stopped, intending to grab some elevenses even though it was only 10 o'clock. I sat on a bench at the foot of the Old Hills and the wind cut through me like a knife. Bother to that idea, it was freezing, I took a photo and then carried on till I was able to reach the safety and warmth of Denise's car which was parked at St Cloud whilst she did her gardening. I was able to change my socks, put my feet up and munch my 'Tens-es' before setting off back to Worcester. I decided that I'd take a slightly different route back to Powick so took the lane down to Pixham and then turned up the lane leading to the village of Callow End. From there it was the familiar route along the Three Choirs Way, over fields , through Powick churchyard and out onto Powick Hams at Powick Roundabout. I could have gone straight home but I felt I needed a few more miles under my belt so I turned up the Southern Relief Road (as picturesque as it sounds!) until I had passed Wick Episcopi (where do the English get their names from?) and then headed back across the Golf Course (steering well clear of the greens I assure you Mary!) until I reached home again.

Another good day with 15.5 miles covered making a grand total of 84.5 miles to date.

With a bit of luck I might finish the challenge tomorrow, completing it in 7 days as I had originally intended. 

Now to plan where I might walk tomorrow!!

If you'd like to donate please do so at:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I will try and reply when I can