Sunday 5 March 2017

About Me and My Walks


About Me and My Walks    


Who am I?
 

My name is Margaret Davies and I was born and raised in Pembroke Dock, Pembrokeshire attending Albion Square Junior School and Pembroke Grammar School before joining the Women’s Royal Army Corps in 1971. After my officer cadet training at Camberley I served as a Recruit Training Platoon Officer at the WRAC Centre, Guildford; Platoon Commander of HQ BAOR Platoon, 29 Coy WRAC in Germany and finally as Assistant Adjutant with 12 Light Air Defence Regiment, Royal Artillery and 22 Light Air Defence Regiment, Royal Artillery (The Welsh Gunners) After serving a five year Short Service Commission I re-trained as a primary school teacher and taught in Nottinghamshire and Worcestershire. I now live in St John’s, Worcester (The village within the city).
 
Why Charity Walks?
 
In 2007 I was diagnosed with aggressive breast cancer. I went through a couple of operations & 5 years of treatment for cancer. I have many friends who have had or are dealing with cancer. In 2016 I lost an inspirational mentor and teaching colleague to cancer.
In 2008 when I suffered panic attacks and a crisis of confidence some members of the Women’s Royal Army Corps Association with whom I had served 'found' me. The comradeship and support that they and the Association gave helped (and still helps) me fight the demons that a life-threatening illness can produce.
 
After I was given the all-clear in 2013 I realised a number of things. Firstly, I had put on a large amount of weight. Secondly that life was too precious to waste or to put things off. I have always loved walking and had often thought I would like to do a Long Distance Walk at some time. Now seemed as good a time as any and it might even help me loose some weight. It struck me that if I was walking a long way then maybe I could raise a little money for Cancer Research and the WRAC Association to say a small 'Thank-you'

And so my Solo 100 Mile Charity Walks began. . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I will try and reply when I can