Tuesday 14 March 2017

Day 3 Tue 14 March

Day 3 - Tue 14 March - from Griff to Rugby

This morning I was feeling a tad lazy so started a little later than I ought to have. 

I did quite well up till my lunchtime stop at Ansty. The going was muddier underfoot than I would have liked. I past the junction to the Ashby de la Zouche canal and onto the Hawkesbury Junction where the Oxford Canal branched off. So keen was I to make up time that I forgot to take any photos! Once off the Coventry Canal and onto the North Oxford Canal I knew the difference. Fairly rapidly the going became tougher. Much more mud and slipping and sliding. It was a bit like trying to walk on soft sand - energy sapping. 

I had made up the time and arrived at the road bridge over the canal in Ansty at midday. All I needed to do was find the pub. Not too difficult for me you might think. Could I find it? Could I heck!! I was supposed to be meeting Elaine for lunch but had no wifi connection and no phone number for Elaine to ring her. Again I called on the all-knowing Babs who contacted Elaine who phoned me & then came & found me. The 'canalside' pub was up a hill & tound a corner!! Thanks Elaine for lunch and rescuing me!!

This made lunch a little later so I left for the afternoon walk to Rugby a bit later than I would have liked. . . . . . and the problems began! Mud, mud and more mud. I knew it was not going to be a well kept path but I wasn't expecting SUCH a mudbath. 

Just when I was at my lowest ebb there was a glimmer of brightness. A couple of daffodils struggling to survive in the mud. It was just un-ending. Just when you thought it was getting better it suddenly got deeper, muddier and more horrid. 

At last I reached Rugby - only a few more miles to my pub stop. June, who was putting me up for the night, rang me to say that the canal towpath was closed!! Just what I needed. I found the White Board cutting off the path and followed the diversion . . . which then petered out & I was left in the middle of nowhere not knowing whether to turn left or right!! Fortunately June & Den came & rescued me & took me to the Old Royal Oak for a very nice meal. Thanks both for putting up with me for the night.


2 comments:

  1. What a day Marg! Be sure to rest up tonight. That mud will certainly have used up your energy and made your legs weary. Well done for making it, I hope tomorrow's section is easier for you. Don't forget your energy bars just in case :) but your true grit and determination will get you there. Good luck! Xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Blimey what a challenging day you had, but as a true lioness you got through it with sheer determination, well done to you and all those who came to your rescue, good luck for Today, hope the weather and terrain are kind to you, I look forward to reading your progress tonight xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I will try and reply when I can