Wednesday 15 March 2017

Day 4 - Wed 15 March

Day 4 - Wed 15 March - Rugby to Long Itchington

June dropped me off a little later than we'd originally hoped (thanks to the non-event, my BBC H&W interview) back at the canal near where wed had our Walk Stop dinner last night. It was a cool and misty morning but I soon warmed up once I'd started. The going was much better than yesterday, soft but not a mud-bath.



Just before I reached Braunston I met a lovely group of narrow - boaters including an ex-submariner and Colin an ex-RCT/AG Corps Recruiter who had been the first person who'd remarked on the WRAC T-shirt! They kindly sponsored my walk. 

Braunston Junction was quite busy with narrow boats and barges. I decided to miss out the pubs at Braunston (had not been recommended) & Flecknoe (too far away from the canal - & up a long hill!!) and carried on along the Grand Union Canal towards Napton Junction. The weather was brilliant so I had lunch sitting by the canal in the sun. Should have brought my suntan lotion I thought!!

At Napton I met  Michael & Leslie who's 13 year old grandson was just about to start Chemo for cancer. We chatted & I wished them and their grandson well.

The walk down (via a staircase of locks) to Long Itchington where Phyl met me - almost with pint in hand. We drove back to the house & I did a live radio interview, via my phone, sitting in the car outside the house! I have had a superb meal and been well watered (which is probably why this is late!!) Thank you to Phyl and Elaine for your superb hosting. No pressure for tomorrows breakfast!!

5 comments:

  1. Brilliant blog Marg, I love the pictures. I enjoyed the radio interview too. (I have to put my comment as anon, but will sign it at the bottom). Well over half way now, on the last straight! Well done. Jane G-A. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely photos, fabulous weather, excellent company from Phyl and Elaine, not too many glasses of the strong stuff though madam, you've got another two walks to complete yet. X X

    ReplyDelete
  3. What wonderful photos Marg, and what interesting people you are meeting along your journey. What you are doing is different and unusual, and you can be sure you will be remembered by the folks you meet along the way. Well done, and see you soon, I have just confirmed my flights for tomorrow!xxx Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoying reading your blog and your photos. Weather has been good for you. Soon be there Barbara xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great photos
    Wasn't Wednesday one of those Spring days you dream of? Richie xx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I will try and reply when I can