Friday 17 March 2017

Day 6 Friday 17 March

Day 6 - Friday 17th March - Lapworth Junction to Stratford upon Avon

It was an easy day for me today as it was ONLY just over 12 miles!!


I started with a will as it was the final day of "proper" walking. I got to Lowensford and decided to look at my SATNAG! I had switched it on but it had failed to register!! It is a bit temperamental sometimes (wonder who it takes after??). I switched it off and back on again and this time it decided to pay nicely. I mainly use it to tell me where I am rather than as a pre-planned route pointer or distance marker! Its useful when I take a wrong turn - its easy to see where I went wrong. . . . . . . . And . . . . . . . . . . . As I'm sure someone will be saying . . . . . . . Don't give the officer a map!!








Anyway, the Stratford Canal has to be one of the prettiest canals I've ever walked. It runs through countryside that is quintessentially "English" Well manicured grassy fields, beautifully trimmed hedgerows, rolling countryside and the sound of sheep and horses. Even the bridges were delicate and pretty.








As well as being one of the first derelict canals in UK to be renovated The Stratford Canal is famous for its aqueducts. There are three of them - wrought iron troughs of varying length transporting the canal and its narrowboats over roads, railways and streams. They are amazing feats of engineering. The third one I came across was the longest . . . and highest!! Did I mention about me and heights?? There was a trough at about shoulder height - fine!! Then a narrow walkway to walk on and an open railing about waist high. Aghh!!

Spring was still Sprung and the weather held up - no rain - I was a lucky girl. I've added a better picture of Pussy Willows because a towpath closure diverted me to the opposite bank!! I had to hold it still because it was blowing a hooley at the time. I also saw my first lambs - I was on the aqueduct at the time so its probably a bit blurred from the shaking!!

 
Finally I arrived at Stratford. Not the finishing line yet - that's tomorrow morning but it was lovely to be so close to the end - 99.5 miles done!! I was met by my wonderful Denise who has been supporting me for the many months before, during and after all this is over. A huge thank you to her. . . . and she takes quite good pictures!!
 


1 comment:

  1. jane griffin-ash17 March 2017 at 19:47

    Lovely pictures as always, feel for you on the aqueduct......lovely lunch today at the Navigator Inn, Wootten Wawen, (love that name). Well done for finishing. x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I will try and reply when I can